Thanks for reading and check out our latest version of Travel Bites!
Like our recipe ideas? Be sure to check out more of our healthy, travel inspired recipes.
Most of you probably don’t know this but I am not really a fan of traditional American breakfast foods. On occasion I like a pancake or waffle but I can’t stand eggs and don’t eat meat so the typical US breakfast is really just lost on me. For a long time I didn’t eat breakfast at all because it never really appealed to me. But as a traveler I’ve discovered that breakfast is different all around the world. I’ve discovered that I actually love other breakfasts from around the world with Morocco, Turkey & Guatemala being my favorites. Got olives, cheese & veggies for breakfast? Bring it! Plain yogurt with honey? Sold. Beans and rice? Yes, Please!
Turns out breakfast is not lost on me after all!
So when I discovered that I didn’t really need to eat traditional American breakfast foods I found a new appreciation for the morning meal and today I’m featuring one of my favorite make-at-home breakfast recipes. The spinach, avocado, quinoa & black beans turn this into a serious power breakfast. It’s a healthy, easy travel meal and a great way to start your day right – yah!
Like most of my favorite travel recipes, this one is easy, simple and cheap to make. You can find these ingredients just about anywhere so it’s perfect to make at home, in your holiday apartment or in a hostel kitchen. It whips up quick and will power you through a busy day of sightseeing!
Plus it has avocado – my weakness.
This recipe makes enough for 2 servings.
- 1 cup of black beans (rinsed)
- 2+ cups of spinach (fresh or frozen) – I usually fill the entire pan with spinach.
- 1/2 cup brown rice or quinoa (pre-cooked)
- 1 avocado
- Tomatoes/Salsa (optional)
- Spices: Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper, Hot Pepper to taste
Ok, I said it was easy and I wasn’t kidding. For this recipe I usually use frozen spinach because it cooks quickly and is already chopped up but you can definitely use fresh if you want.
1. Lightly spray your frying pan with cooking spray or put a few drops of olive oil in to prevent the food from sticking to the pan.
2. Pop the spinach in the pan and let it cook until most of the moisture is sucked out of the spinach (4 – 6 mins).
3. Add your black beans and cook for another couple of minutes.
4. Add your quinoa or rice and cook for another 2 minutes or so.
5. Sprinkle all of your spices into the mixture and stir the pan a few times.
6. In the meantime, cut an avocado in half, skin both sides and place on a dish.
7. As soon as it all looks done remove the pan from the stove and stuff a generous helping of the mixture into the avocado halves. You’ll have plenty of mixture left over to put on your plate.
8. Top it off with a couple cherry tomatoes or salsa.
Sprinkle any extra seasoning you may want on top of the dish and voila! You’re done!
I like mine a little spicy and when I’m at home I use ‘Slap Your Mama’ cajun seasoning on this dish. Seriously good.
I usually use leftover quinoa but if you don’t want to make any specifically for this meal, you can make a couple pieces of toast to spread everything on. BTW, have you ever smeared avocado on bread? You’ll never go back to butter again I swear! (Plus it’s really good for your heart.)
Do you like eggs? You could easily add an egg on top of this lovely mixture.
You can also omit the quinoa & rice, and in their place use home fried potatoes and add some jalepeno slices while cooking. Then wrap it up in a tortilla for a Mexican influenced breakfast burrito. It’s very good this way as well.
You can also sign up for automatic updates by email:
*Please remember all photos on this website, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted and property of Beers and Beans Travel Website & Bethany Salvon. Please do not use them without my permission. If you do want to use one of them please contact me first. Thanks!
MORE UNIQUE TRAVEL STORIES FROM AROUND THE WEB: