Flights of Fancy – A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon.

By Posted in - Asia & Europe & Featured Post & Photography Posts & Photos & travel photos & Turkey on May 9th, 2012 USE ME FOR HOT AIR BALLOON

[google1]

Alice laughed. “There’s no use trying,” she said: “one can’t believe impossible things.”
“I daresay you haven’t had much practice,” said the Queen. “When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”
-Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

The one thing I always liked about flying in planes was the feeling of being above it all. All my problems and worries have no place in a plane – all I needed was to look down and see how far away I was from them. Whatever issue that was ailing me became minute. In fact, it became so tiny that when I looked out the window I couldn’t even see them. Flying above the world makes you realize just how small we are and how minuscule our problems really are.

But hot air balloon rides aren’t planes. They’re far more special and magical. They don’t just remove you from your worries, they transport you to another place.

I always romanticized about taking a hot air balloon ride. Over time I had reserved a special, hidden region of my brain solely for this ride, accompanied with the fantasy and endless possibilities that go along with images of vintage hot air balloons and their fantastically wild & imaginative pilots. Pilots who dared to believe in boundless creativity and endless possibilities. I imagined how incredible it must be to be captivated by life while bobbing and sailing effortless among the clouds.

Was I really here at last? Floating along the skies in of all places, Cappadocia? Could I truly be that fortunate?

Whimsy. Wonderland. Wanderlust. Imagination.

I’ve been trying to come up with the words that can come close to how I felt when we took our hot air balloon ride with Royal Balloon and those words keep popping up over and over again. The truth is that buoyantly drifting through the world in the basket of a hot air balloon was wildly beyond my greatest imagination. It’s hard for me to put it into words.

It immediately brought me to a state of awe. As an adult, it’s not everyday we get to experience such grand feelings of curiosity and wonderment. I’m pretty sure that most people who love to travel (whether it’s for a day or a year), do so because they like to be captivated & enchanted by new places. There is nothing quite like arriving in a new town. Even though you’ll do some of the same things that you’ll do on any other normal day (eat, sleep, figure out public transport) there is something special about that moment. The moment you arrive – step off the train, the bus, the plane or out of the cab – and look at the world around you for the first time.

In that moment anything is possible. Anything.

The hot air balloon ride was like that – an overwhelmingly childlike feeling where everything old was new again. A feeling that anything is possible.

The 90 minute balloon ride was perfect in every conceivable way.  Desperately I tried to etch every moment of it in my brain and place in a folder reserved for curious wonder and wild imaginings. In the folder where upon entrance I hear the swing & sleaze of Paris cabaret songs circa 1930. A folder where the impossible doesn’t exist. A folder filed under three simple words – “Anything Is Possible”.

Discard the daily routine for a few minutes, let your mind wander and enjoy a flight of fancy with impossible possibilities.

7166463342 5089fde194 c Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166463596 fd86d5116f c Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166462270 9416c32cdc c Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166462034 51dc636413 Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon7166461934 7843c786f0 Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166464402 4f0eb56191 c Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166463698 49b4007bf2 c Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166462612 37ab2f74b8 c Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166461688 14d1078a88 c Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166462458 cef53a802f Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon7166463150 0a893a415a Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166464248 2a09afb59f c Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166464048 93617a5127 c Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166463470 70c1b08072 c Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166464166 7c2d5b5ac8 Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon   7166463970 b7dc0ff4f6 Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166462768 07e54d9e0c c Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166461594 d8ac5dcb9d c Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166461456 afaf58c55a c Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166462900 079a10052b Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon7166463820 e99003b5f9 Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166462384 bda8f6323d c Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

7166462164 9103e3199f c Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

I hope you enjoyed this photo essay from our hot air balloon ride in Cappadocia

If you get the chance to go on a hot air ballon ride – GO! You won’t be disappointed.

We have another photo essay coming out next week from the same flight with a write up from Randy that includes all the technical details about the flight and about our time with Royal Balloon. We had such a fantastic time with them that we can’t recommend them enough. If you are in Cappadocia and planning on taking to the skies make them your go-to hot air balloon specialists. They take care of everything so that you can just enjoy the ride – think gorgeous breakfast buffet, bubbly champagne & some of the most amazing moments you’ll experience in your life. In other words, Royal Balloon will treat you like royalty.

The world would be quite boring without imagination. If you’ve got a favorite photo or feel inspired to imagine ridiculous things please let me know in the comments. I love ridiculous!

*Get the first glimpse of our new travel photos & posts! Subscribe by email and get new travel articles delivered straight to your inbox:

Or add us to your favorite feed reader by clicking the orange icon!feed icon32x32 Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon
You can also hang out with us online on Twitter, Facebook & Stumble Upon.

*Please remember all photos on this website, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted and property of Beers and Beans Travel Website, Nariko’ s Nest Weddings & Bethany Salvon. Please do not use them without my permission. If you do want to use one of them please contact me first because I do love to share and I would be flattered. Thanks!

pixel Flights of Fancy   A photographic journey through the skies of Cappadocia with @RoyalBalloon

(42) awesome folk have had something to say...

• John - Reply

May 9, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Wow these are some of the most spectacular photos I’ve seen on this site yet – they all look so dreamlike, so surreal. Nicely done.

May 9, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Thank you so much John! I’m so glad you like them :)

• Denise - Reply

May 9, 2012 at 5:15 pm

mmm..I have mixed feelings about this photo essay. The subjects and compositions are beautiful, but I’m not so keen on the photo shop overload. I prefer the style of photos you used, for example, with your iceland images. Those are my favourite so far.

May 9, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Thanks for your comment Denise. The point of these photos is to be imaginative, creative and to look beyond the normal into the realm of the impossible. They are supposed to bring you to another place, that’s why they look the way they do. Taking a hot air balloon ride to me was quite special and a very imaginative event. The photos are made this way to reflect that. They are meant to inspire whimsy and creativity. To dream and imagine that anything is possible.

I tried to think back to the time that hot air balloons were invented and imagine what a spectacular & unbelievable event that must’ve been. I’m sure many people then didn’t believe it would be possible but it only stakes the spark of one person’s imagination to make the impossible a reality and thus change reality entirely.

These photos aren’t meant to be ‘normal’ – they are meant to be full of fantasy and to let your mind imagine what could be. But if you liked the Iceland pics more then I bet the next balloon essay going up next week will be more up your alley. :)

• Bridgette - Reply

May 9, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I think these are just spectacular! I love your style, amazing photography and awesome editing skills. Each photo is a piece of art, never to be captured the same by any other artist. Well Done! You have inspired my creativity and I truly hope that some day I get to visit this awesome country and Royal balloons! Magnefique!

May 10, 2012 at 6:46 am

Thank you Bridgette – so glad you like the photos. :)

• Emily@brampton law firm - Reply

May 10, 2012 at 3:56 am

Wow! Look at them they look so picturesque! Wish I also get a hot air balloon ride when I would visit! What are their charges??

• Jack@wedding bands toronto - Reply

May 10, 2012 at 4:11 am

I am feeling on cloud nine when I was in hot air balloon for the very 1st time 2years back! It is worth the ride! It’s ecstatic!

May 10, 2012 at 6:45 am

Yes, you really do feel like you are on cloud 9 when you are in a hot air balloon! Thanks for commenting. :)

• Chrissy Travels - Reply

May 10, 2012 at 6:28 am

What an incredible way to experience Cappadocia! I am bummed I was too sick while traveling through Turkey to make my way there. Thanks for sharing such incredible photos and for giving me a great idea if I get a chance to go back.

May 10, 2012 at 6:44 am

It really was an incredible experience! I loved every minute of it. Sorry to hear you were sick in Turkey – if you get the chance to go back you will definitely be wowed by Cappadocia. :) @Chrissy Travels,

• Miruna - Reply

May 10, 2012 at 8:35 am

Amazing photos! Congratulations!

• Erin - Reply

May 10, 2012 at 8:40 am

ummm WOW! These are awesome! You did an amazing job of giving them that Alice in Wonderland magical feel :)

May 14, 2012 at 8:01 am

Thanks Erin! I was going for something out of the ordinary. :)

• Ruth (Tanama Tales) - Reply

May 10, 2012 at 9:20 am

You really achieved the goal of taking us to another world. This is completely different of what I have seen for this part of the world. Thanks for sharing.

May 14, 2012 at 8:01 am

Thank you so much for commenting Ruth – glad you liked the photo essay.

• Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) - Reply

May 10, 2012 at 9:26 am

This post was stunning. Your words and photos complemented one another beautifully, and I think you managed to perfectly capture a rare and magical experience. It sounds like riding in a hot air balloon not only allows you to feel suspended in space, but suspended in time as well. Gorgeous!

May 14, 2012 at 8:02 am

I couldn’t have said it better myself – that’s exactly it – suspended in space & time!

• […] and Beans gave me some serious travel lust this past week. They featured a stunning set of photos from their hot air balloon ride in Cappadocia, Turkey. The photography on their site never fails to amaze me, this post is no […]

• Mary s. - Reply

May 11, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Hey Beth awesome photo and article can’t wait for the next installment, from randy any more pictures for us. Great work

• Christy @ Technosyncratic - Reply

May 11, 2012 at 4:17 pm

The landscape is just outrageously beautiful, and then when you add in the colors and textures of the balloons it almost becomes too much to process. These photos are fantastic, and I can’t wait to see this firsthand someday.

May 14, 2012 at 8:03 am

Cappadocia is definitely a really unique & beautiful place and the balloons make it so much more magical than it already is. Definitely recommend a trip out there!

• David - Reply

May 12, 2012 at 11:12 am

I used to work for a large IT company that owned its own balloon. As my company car was a Land Rover, I was asked if I’d like to join the balloon recovery team (the people who folow the flight). I agreed and they offered to take me up on a flight first so I could get a better understanding of flight patterns and recovery conditions.

So, an a warm summers evening in Wiltshire, UK, we took off. After 5 minutes of gripping the basket edge, totally terrified, I relaxed…

It was stunning. I fell in love with the ballooning and subsequent flights over a number of years took me on many memorable journeys. If you’ve not tried it before, go for it; it’s a brilliant experience.

• Audrey | That Backpacker - Reply

May 12, 2012 at 4:25 pm

These shots really are magical and whimsical! The balloons look so beautiful floating up into the air!

May 14, 2012 at 8:04 am

Thanks Audrey! So glad you liked them, that was the look I was trying to achieve. :)

• Katie - Reply

May 13, 2012 at 6:17 am

It’s not often that a few photographs make me want to go somewhere, but these did. They’re fantastic!

May 14, 2012 at 8:05 am

Thank you Katie! Well you never know, maybe that will be the next stop for your husbands job. :) @Katie,

• Ayngelina - Reply

May 13, 2012 at 7:11 pm

These photos are insanely amazing, I must go!

May 14, 2012 at 8:07 am

Thanks for the compliments Ayngelina – glad you like them :) Yes, I bet you would love Cappadocia! @Ayngelina,

• Lucy - Reply

May 14, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Wow, I saw you tweet this earlier – if there’s an amazing place to go hot air ballooning Cappadocia has got to be it. Your photos are amazing #greeneyedmonster.

June 2, 2012 at 11:31 am

Thanks for commenting Lucy! Cappadocia is definitely a wonderland for hot air balloons!

• Joseph - Reply

May 15, 2012 at 1:58 am

Flying in the air is the superb feeling. The photos are beautiful and amazing. It makes the mood of travelling or going for vacation. The words also beautifully explain the photos very well. I am imagining myself in parachute above all.

June 2, 2012 at 11:28 am

Thanks for your comment Joseph – I’m glad you like the photos. :)

• Christ@evening dresses in toronto - Reply

May 15, 2012 at 11:31 pm

These Royal balloons are making me go mad for them to ride on!! I wish I too see myself in there soon!!

• Brisbane Hot Air Ballooning - Reply

May 21, 2012 at 11:46 pm

The feeling of excitement while a balloon ride can’t be expressed in words. I am impressed with the blog and the pictures are really beautiful. I enjoyed the blog and pictures.

• Joe - Reply

May 31, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I loved the pictures. You an excellent photographer. The pictures are so positive. They make me feel so calm and relaxed. I totally agree with you, life would be so boring without imagination that is why we see kids are always busy in something or the other even when they’re alone at home. They talk to themselves & play with toys constantly imagining something and that’s what keeps them happy.

June 2, 2012 at 11:27 am

Thank you for your comment Joe – I completely agree. :)

• Adam - Reply

June 3, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I also want to travel in these balloons on an amazing basis! I just love this totally! Like it is so amazing to get glimpses from high end mountains! It is super knocking! Royal Balloons here I come!

• Hakan Guzelgoz - Reply

June 10, 2012 at 12:17 am

Great pictures & post. These pictures will make lots of future visitors dreaming ;)
    By the way, we are organizing a Cappadocia photo contests – if you want to participate to it with your great pictures, check this out – http://www.facebook.com/events/395245747184326/

• Emy@Polished Concrete - Reply

June 12, 2012 at 12:50 am

These pictures looks so amazing! The quality, the feel is too good! WOW! Well, this would make the things more tempting for people who haven’t yet visited! Really informative article! Royal Balloon rocks!

• Andrew Darwitan - Reply

October 14, 2013 at 8:25 am

If there was a single highlight to my Turkey trip, it’s probably Cappadocia. Really amazing place with some of the most unusual & interesting rock formations. I don’t know why I decided not to ride on the hot air balloon though; now that I’m seeing your pictures I’m filled with regrets haha.

Please leave a Comment...