Sarah’s Memorial – Cinque Terra, Italy.

By Posted in - Big Trip & Cinque Terre & Europe & Featured Post & Inspiration & Italy & Personal & Photography Posts & Photos on February 2nd, 2011

To Sarah,

She came from Ohio to our paradise.
From far away the sea saw her, smiled at her.
The beloved groom, the Via dell’Amore,
dreams that come true, her heart beat strongly.
The beloved Cinque Terra from school days,
Riomaggiore, Manarola…
a white cloud, the halo of a star
embraced Sarah and thus she becomes even more beautiful.
Dated: September 27, 2007

Cinque Terra is out of this world. It’s colorful, mesmerizing and it feels like a home away from home. It’s also a final resting place for not only the residents of the five villages but also for visitors who took a wrong step on the sometimes perilous hike. Throughout our hike in Cinque Terra I noticed small memorials tucked into walls & nooks, sometimes lit by candlelight. Italy was very emotional for me but the memorials in Cinque Terra always seemed to catch me a little off guard. When hiking in one of the prettiest locations on earth it initially feels strange when your mind drifts to thoughts of death and the afterlife.

It’s fitting though, don’t cherished family & friends deserve memorials in beautiful locations? Places like Cinque Terre where the sun shines bright, the buildings glow and the sea seems to laugh at itself. I love this memorial. It makes me wonder who Sarah was, why she was here and what kind of pizza she might have liked best.

Did you like this article? If so, consider retweeting or stumbling it. Better yet sign up for our RSS feed OR get the goodies delivered directly to your inbox! Consider yourself hugged. :)

*Please remember all photos on this website are copyrighted and property of BeersandBeans.com, NarikosNest.com & Bethany Salvon. Please do not use them without my permission. If you want to use one of them please contact me to ask first because I do love to share and I would be flattered. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

(12) awesome folk have had something to say...

• […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Christine Gilbert, BeersAndBeans. BeersAndBeans said: Sarah’s Memorial – Cinque Terra, Italy http://goo.gl/fb/xEnk6 […]

• Andreas -

February 2, 2011 at 6:56 am

What a great find… It really shows how special this person was and how amazing this place is.

• Bethany -

February 2, 2011 at 9:31 am

Thanks for leaving a comment Andreas. It is an amazing spot.@Andreas,

• Angelina -

February 2, 2011 at 7:11 am

Interesting read. Very well written, the story kept me captivated till the end 🙂

• Bethany -

February 3, 2011 at 11:27 am

Thanks for your wonderful comment Angelina 🙂@Angelina,

• Laura -

February 2, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I hiked the trail down by the water as well as some hiking above Cinque Terre and I never saw these memorials. But CT has to be one of the most beautiful, quaint places in the world. And I love how some of the villages even speak their own dialects.

• Bethany -

February 2, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Yeah, they seemed to just pop out at times really, totally unexpected. I saw a handful of them there. I never knew the villages spoke their own dialects though – that is pretty cool. @Laura,

• Christine Provard -

September 30, 2012 at 9:56 am

Love your words…my daughter, Sarah would love your words too. Just leaving the Cinque Terre for her fifth anniversary and came upon your blog. Was touched…thank you for sharing. The poem was written by Franco Bonanini, the president of Cinque Terre. The Cinque Terre people were very kind to us! Your words touched this mothers heart!
    Christine (Sarah’s mom)

• Bethany -

January 5, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Not sure how I missed this comment when it first came in but thank you so much for writing Christine. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. The poem and memorial is beautiful and really stood out to me when I was there.

It is amazing that you found this online and I’m glad that it touched your heart.

Best wishes to your family and to Sarah’s memory.

– Beth

• Chris Provard -

January 6, 2013 at 10:45 am

Hello Beth, I am sending you my link which has many of the pics of Sarah and the journey of my loss with her. Sarah was my only child-she was my best friend. I continue to miss her and am blessed by the many people all over the world who have touched me somehow in the wildest ways since her death. Thanks again. Let me know if you have trouble accessing the blog. Chris

compelledtotruenorth.blogspot.com

• Bethany -

January 26, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for sharing your blog with me. I read it for quite a long time. Sarah was such a beautiful girl and seemed like an even more amazing person. You have done a beautiful job of keeping her memory alive in your blog. Thank you again for sharing it and I am glad that I was able to share a bit of her story on our blog. XOXO – Beth

• karen -

January 28, 2013 at 8:27 am

I just loved Sarah. She was a special wonderful free spirited woman.