Iceland Culture|The Icelandic Horse.

By Posted in - Big Trip & Europe & Featured & Featured Post & Featured Posts 2 & Iceland & Photography Posts & Photos on November 14th, 2010
pin it button Iceland Culture|The Icelandic Horse
pin it button Iceland Culture|The Icelandic Horse

One of Iceland’s claim to fame is the Icelandic horse. This horse was bred in Iceland and is native to the country. It does exists outside of Iceland but I hadn’t seen one until we visited this September. When we rented a car for a day, we were able to drive through the Icelandic countryside and to my happy surprise, there were a lot of  Icelandic horses grazing in pastures. They are slightly smaller than the typical horse but they look really hardy. They have long beautiful manes, a coat of thick hair and their bodies seem wider than usual. The Icelandic horse is a beautiful and hypnotic creature. I could have spent hours hanging out with them. I got out to feed a few some grass and they were all really friendly and curious. I’m not sure how many horses could survive the harsh, Icelandic winter but these horses were obviously built for it. If you have the time and the money (I had time but not enough money), you can go on a horseback ride in different areas of Iceland. I’m sure it would be beyond beautiful and hopefully they next time I make it back, I’ll have some extra cash on hand. It is one of the top things to do in Iceland and I’ve been told it can’t be missed.

There is something really special about them so I took quite a few photos of the stunning Icelandic Horse.  I hope you like them.

Icelandic Horse Black smaller Iceland Culture|The Icelandic Horse

vintage horse finalsmaller Iceland Culture|The Icelandic Horse

Icelandic horse 10smaller1 726x1024 Iceland Culture|The Icelandic Horse

Icelandic Horses edited smaller 1024x828 Iceland Culture|The Icelandic Horse

icelandic horses 2smaller 1024x704 Iceland Culture|The Icelandic Horse

iceland horse 2edited smaller 791x1024 Iceland Culture|The Icelandic Horse

Icelandic Horse Blond smaller 1024x907 Iceland Culture|The Icelandic Horse

feed icon32x32 Iceland Culture|The Icelandic Horse Subscribe to our feed & share the love!

Did you like this article? If so, consider retweeting or stumbling it. Better yet sign up for our RSS feed OR get the goodies delivered directly to your inbox! Consider yourself hugged. icon smile Iceland Culture|The Icelandic Horse

*Please remember all photos on this website are copyrighted and property of BeersandBeans.com, NarikosNest.com & Bethany Salvon. Please do not use them without my permission. If you want to use one of them please contact me to ask first because I do love to share and I would be flattered. Thanks!

pixel Iceland Culture|The Icelandic Horse
pin it button Iceland Culture|The Icelandic Horse

(24) awesome folk have had something to say...

• Anil - Reply

November 15, 2010 at 10:27 am

That last one is like the 90s-Brad Pitt hairstyle version of Icelandic horse. Wonderful pictures!

• Annie - Reply

November 15, 2010 at 12:00 pm

That is sooo the Brad Pitt of horses! They are cute, they look a little bit like Shetland Ponies, but cooler of course! Nice shots!

• Bethany - Reply

November 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Thanks Annie! I never thought of it before but it really does! They are really cute little guys! @Annie,

• Erica - Reply

November 15, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I love these! You captured their personalities so well. LOVE! /swoon

(what girl doesn’t like horse pics?)

• Zablon Mukuba - Reply

November 15, 2010 at 10:58 pm

in your second last photo is that horse smiling for the photo?

• Bethany - Reply

November 16, 2010 at 6:32 am

haha! Yeah, it really does look like it. That horse had a lot of personality! @Zablon Mukuba,

• Nick Laborde - Reply

November 16, 2010 at 10:48 am

I’m not much of a horse person, maybe a horse burger here and there… just kidding. Awesome photos as always, I need to learn some skills from you.

• Bethany - Reply

November 16, 2010 at 1:11 pm

A horse burger?! What a thing to tell a vegetarian! :)

Horses are different for sure, I think it’s like what people say about India – either you like them or you don’t. There’s not too many people in the middle. Thanks for the compliment too :) @Nick Laborde,

• Jade - Reply

November 19, 2010 at 3:30 am

When we were in Iceland, we stopped on the road (no one was around) and watching for about twenty minutes as all these horses came running down a hill and through the brush. It was pretty magical, and so something I wouldn’t see in L.A. Great pictures!

• Bethany - Reply

November 19, 2010 at 9:03 am

Hi Jade – I know it’s hard to describe really in photos. As we were driving a bunch of them caming running through the fields and it was so perfect. Magical is definitely the right word! @Jade,

• Diane - Reply

November 19, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I totally love the expressions that you have captured on these guys! Awesome photography Bethany. Looking at them sends me to my ‘happy place.” I really want to go to Iceland now to ride one. :)

• Bethany - Reply

November 19, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Thanks Diane. I was thinking I should hang out with Cash again and take some more pictures of him that are like these. :) @Diane,

• Kelsey - Reply

December 3, 2010 at 9:08 am

These are amazing shots! Great work!

• Bethany - Reply

December 3, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Thanks Kelsey – the horses there are easy subjects – they are so beautiful! @Kelsey,

• [...] a bit non-descriptive it speaks volumes to me. It reminds me of the desolate Icelandic roads, the Icelandic horses that run along side them and the birds that sleep in the middle of them. Even more so, it reminds [...]

• [...] more about Iceland culture. Stop by Randy Kalp’s site where you can find out all about the horses of Iceland and island’s beautiful landscape. Tags: Budget Iceland travel, Budget Travel, Iceland car [...]

• cetyl m - Reply

May 6, 2011 at 2:53 am

The ICELANDIC HORSE – A completely pure breed. Horses from other countries may not enter Iceland, nor may horses return once they leave the country. Horses are seen everywhere including the city and riding is a popular sport. The Icelandic horse is unique in that it may have up to 5 gaits, most other breeds have 3.

• Bethany - Reply

May 9, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by and clarifying that! :) @cetyl m,

• Nienke Krook – The Travel Tester - Reply

December 9, 2012 at 9:21 pm

That’s just stunning – and the nr 1 reason I would visit Iceland. Thanks for sharing.

• Peter Parkorr - Reply

June 30, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Just browsing your new site folks, found these shots using your new custom search – these are the first photo’s I ever saw of yours Beth (about a year ago), I think they’re great! You have also been stumbled. Thanks for the hug!

Please leave a Comment...